CP's Blog of Doom

The King of Town's very own blog!

Friday, December 7, 2007

Jackaroochops

I needed to get to the other side of this before I could post something non-mopey. I sent this by email to a friend yesterday, and thought I'd share it with you guys, too.

It's been a rough week. My cat, Jack, was having trouble breathing on Saturday night, and it was worse Sunday morning. At that point, I took him to the Veterinary ER and spent about half the day there. After tests and x-rays, they eventually figured out that it wasn't congestion, his lungs and chest are full of blood. They think he got into my 2nd floor (I recently opened it up to use for storage, it's always been boarded up) and found some rat poison. I've never seen any up there, but the only other option is that a mouse got into the house after being poisoned elsewhere and he ate it.

Rat poison is the nastiest stuff EVER, because it kills by making the animal's blood stop clotting. So they bleed to death internally, and it's awful. He's 19 pounds, so she said there was a slim chance he'd make it with a kitty blood transfusion. Unfortunately, she couldn't assure me it would help, and it was $1700, and he would have had to stay at the ER until he was well or until he died. So I took him home to make him comfortable and got her to give me vitamin K pills and give him a vitamin k shot. The vitamin helps him regain his ability to clot. She said he wouldn't make it through Monday, and he did and actually seems a little better today. I was a mess for a day or two, though, he's a big part of the family at Casa CP. He sleeps with me every night, sits in my lap when I watch TV, and is the first one to greet me whenever I get home. He's actually felt good enough today to sit in my lap (he hadn't been leaving my bed much, except to go to the bathroom), which is where he is now.

So think some happy thoughts, eh?

-CP

3 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home