CP's Blog of Doom

The King of Town's very own blog!

Saturday, March 18, 2006

Sad phone call

You never want to get the phone call that starts with "I have some bad news", yet we'll all get it at some point. Today, it was my friend Margaret. Margaret and I have been friends for almost 15 years, I went to school with her daughters Jill and Lauren and her son Dan. I will always feel grateful that I also got to be friends with Margaret's mom, Mema McCoy. Mema has been fighting emphysema for the last few years, and lost the fight for good this past Thursday.

Things had been rough for her, as they are for anyone with a chronic illness. She kept her home in the country, learned how to use email to keep in touch with all her friends and family, and had a wonderful heart. She was a real treasure, and I'll miss her. I'll take a lot of great memories from our friendship, though, and that's a good thing. I'll never forget when Margaret and I drove out to her house in Lampasas to set up a WebTV box for her to use for recipe searches and email. Going to the feed store to get an internet account was hilarious, and her first adventures on the internet were fun to see.

I'll miss Mema, but I'm glad that we were friends.

-CP

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home